US Navy's Blue Angels

US Navy's Blue Angels
2016 Blue Angel #6: RIP -- God's speed. I am Pro US Navy & Pro Military: Fleet Week 2015: Turnin'-n-Burnin' over San Francisco!

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Alfonso Faustino: Griffin: All Terrain Survivor iPhone 6 Plus Case Review

GRIFFIN: ALL TERRAIN SURVIVOR : * *


I rate this case two stars.  It meets the specifications as stated by Griffin, except for the following failures:
- the camera and flash ports for the iPhone 6 Plus creates a haze to my pictures; and,
- in each of my drop-tests, the case split open, but it did not separate; I just snapped it back together.

Also, the flaps to the mute switch, charging port, and head-phone jack port all opened up after each drop.  I closed the flaps. Since it protected my acquaintance's iPhone 6 Plus from damage, All Terrain Survivor passed the dropped test.

The All Terrain Survivor was the first case I bought for my iPhone 6 Plus.  The case is rugged and well-designed.  I feel safe knowing I can drop this case, and it will protect my iPhone 6 Plus from shocks, impact, and vibration.

TEST RESUTS

Drop Test: Passed. (Case split open but didn't separate.)
Using a damaged iPhone 6 Plus, which is owned by an acquaintance of mine and being sent back to Apple for a defective camera, I dropped it at my waist level, and the case remained in tact; but, the case split open, and at each instance, one or more of the protective flaps opened up.  I dropped it about ear-level, and the case remained in tact; but, once again, or more of the protective flaps opened up, and the case split open, but it did not separate.  I'm about 5'9" or 175 centimeters, and I estimated about 6 feet or 2 meters from my head and dropped it, and the case remained in tact; but, once again, or more of the protective flaps opened up, and the case split open, but it did not separate.

I removed my acquaintance's iPhone 6 Plus, and it was in perfect shape and functional with the exception of the camera, which was broken before I did the drop test.

Sand and Dirt-Proof Test: Passed.
I threw the case, with my iPhone 6 Plus in it, onto the sand, and it passed -- no problem.  I lightly rinsed it off, and my phone was clean and dry.  My only concern is the charging port rubber flap; I wish is was more snug into the charging port cavity.


The picture quality is the major drawback to the All Terrain Survivor case.  My picture quality got diminished by the clear cover for the camera and flash ports.

The All Terrain Survivor case produces a haze in my pictures, without the flash, and they aren't as crisp as my Obex.  This is one of the reasons I purchased the Obex case after purchasing the All Terrain Survivor case.






The All Terrain Survivor case does not create a blue or purplish haze when I use the flash, but I still get a haze as shown, below -- for me, this is unacceptable.


The camera feature in this case needs improvement, which is the reason I gave this case two stars instead of five stars.

Rain Test: Passed.
Do not submerge this case in water nor put it in rushing water like a shower, river, lake, or ocean.

According to Griffin, the All Terrain Survivor case protects against 7" of rain in one hour.  Without getting too technical about downforce of rain and the same downforce rain pressure hitting the same exact point consistently on the case for a specific period of time, this case passes.  You would have to expose your All Terrain Survivor case by standing under your shower-head and letting the water hit your case from 5-15 seconds at a specific point on the case, for it to fail the rain test.

If you find yourself using this case in that type of down-pour, I recommend you getting a waterproof case like the Obex or LifeProof.


The charging port's silicone flap isn't snug, though it does keep drops of water, dust, and sand out of the case.  I would have liked to have it more snug and fitted into the charging port.  The picture above shows the charging port silicone flap.


The screen protector is clear and scratch resistant -- a little rainbow effect exists; but, it is minor; and, the images on the iPhone 6 Plus's screen show up crisp and clear.  The All Terrain Survivor's screen protector doesn't interfere with the viewing of pictures and other touch-screen activities.

The All Terrain Survivor case is bulky, and it definitely won't fit inside my suit jacket pocket or some of my other jackets; hence, this is the other reason I purchased the Obex case after purchasing the All Terrain Survivor case.

Notwithstanding the haze in my pictures and the bulkiness of the case preventing it fitting into certain pockets of my clothing, and the splitting open during my drop-tests, I like the Griffin All Terrain Survivor case; because, I think it has one of the best structures to protect against drops, vibrations, and shocks. Silicone rubber guards the outer part of the case, and silicone rubber placed on the inside of the case minimize vibration and shock during impacts and drops.