US Navy's Blue Angels

US Navy's Blue Angels
2016 Blue Angel #6: RIP -- God's speed. I am Pro US Navy & Pro Military: Fleet Week 2015: Turnin'-n-Burnin' over San Francisco!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Alfonso Faustino: Seidio: Obex iPhone 6 Plus Case Review

SEIDIO: OBEX: * *


I rate this case two stars.  It meets the specifications listed by Seidio, EXCEPT the camera flash feature -- I get a blue haze.  Also, in each of my drop-tests, the case split open, but it did not separate.  I snapped the pieces together.  Since it protected my acquaintance's iPhone 6 Plus from damage, Obex passed the dropped test.

My disappointment with this case is that I paid $80 for this case, and it should not be splitting after dropping the case at the manufacturer's height specifications nor should the case create problems when using the camera flash.

Also, it only accepts Apple's OEM lightning chargers.  Though the Apple lightning charger cable in my Ferrari is OEM, it won't fit through the Obex Case; so, when I drive my Ferrari, I have to remove the Obex Case.

AS A RESULT OF THE CAMERA FLASH AND CASE-SPLITTING ISSUES DURING MY TESTS, HEREIN, I NO LONGER USE THE OBEX CASE AS MY PRIMARY CASE; NOW, I USE THE LIFEPROOF NÜÜD iPHONE 6 PLUS CASE.  I still kept my review of the Obex Case in this BLOG for your information.

NOTE: Seidio's customer service is 5-stars.  Each time I sent them an email, I get a reply within 24 hours with a solution.  When I call them, I get polite and courteous assistance with a solution to the problem.  Today, 19-January-2015, I contacted Seidio regarding the camera flash problem I am experiencing with their case, and they told me they will replace it or refund me depending on my choice.  I am waiting for the second case, and I will test the camera flash with the second case.

When you visit Seidio and view the Obex iPhone 6 Plus case, you will learn that it is waterproof, sand and dirt-proof, dust-proof, shock-proof, impact-proof, and snow-proof.  So, I did my tests to verify the validity of Obex's specifications.

TEST RESUTS

Waterproof Test: Passed.
I dove to about 6 feet in the swimming pool and beach in Newport Beach, CA, and my iPhone 6 Plus was dry; I put it in a 10-inch bucket of water for about one hour; and, my iPhone 6 Plus was dry.  I installed the waterproof audio adapter and dove about 6 feet, and my iPhone 6 Plus was dry; I put the case with the audio adapter in a 10-inch bucket of water for about an hour; and, my iPhone 6 Plus was dry.


I also took this case with me in the shower; and, it still didn't leak under the shower pressure.



I also put it in a bucket of water every other day, and it still doesn't leak.



Drop Test: I drop per each height level: Passed. (Case split open but didn't separate.)
Using a damaged iPhone 6 Plus, which is owned by an acquaintance of mine and being sent back to Apple for a defective camera, I dropped the case at my waist level, ear-level, and at about 6 feet or 2 meters from my head; the case split open, but no damage to the iPhone 6 Plus -- the two pieces stayed together and all was needed for me to do was snap the pieces together.  If one of the two pieces separated off of one another, I would have failed this test.

I removed my acquaintance's iPhone 6 Plus, and it was in perfect shape and functional with the exception of the camera, which was broken before I did the drop test.

Snow-proof Test: Pending.
I haven't been to the snow due to my travel schedule; but, I am confident, based upon the water tests I conducted, it will pass the snow-proof test.

Sand and Dirt-Proof Test: Passed.
I swam in the ocean with the case without a problem; and, I threw the case, with my iPhone 6 Plus in it, onto the sand, and it passed -- no problem.  I just rinsed it off, and my phone was clean and dry.

Obex indicated they use actual glass -- an anti-reflective glass, not plastic, to cover the camera and flash ports in back of the case; as a result of using glass, Obex asserted the glass covers won't interfere with the flash operations and camera operations of the iPhone 6 Plus, and I DISAGREE based upon my testing experiences.


When I use the flash on my camera with the case on, I get a blue haze: FAILED.


Obex indicated that my case is probably defective; so, I have second case on the way.  I will test it out as part of my due diligence; but, I am certain, I will get the same results as the first case regarding the flash issue in the picture, above.

(I received the second case, and I still got the blue haze when using the flash: FAILED.)

Here are shots I took with the Obex case on without the flash:





CONCLUSION:  I would not buy this case nor recommend it.  In addition, I will no longer use this case as my primary.  Instead, I, now, use the LIFEPROOF NÜÜD iPHONE 6 PLUS CASE.